Saturday, November 30, 2013

Shampoo

Burt's Bees Super Shiny Shampoo, Grapefruit & Sugar Beet, 12 oz(First, I'll note that Burt's Bees Moisturizing Raspberry and Brazil Nut is my favorite shampoo but I buy this one when I can't get my hands on the other...)

Years ago I was a sales rep for a cosmetic ingredient company. Meaning I didn't work for any cosmetic companies specifically, but sold the ingredients to large manufacturers through a broker. Because of this, I learned a wealth of information that I've taken with me though that career has long since past

(for example, did you know almost every acne medication is the exact same thing if it's over the counter? Even the expensive proactive ones. You can only put 2% salicylic acid in it per law over the counter. They are all this with other inert ingredients or 10% benzoyl peroxide and inert ingredients. Just buy the cheapest and read the labels. Proactive, for example, has the same active ingredients as the two buck grocery store acne meds...but I digress.)

I learned much about Burt's Bees during this time because of their lip balm. I was unable to sell petroleum based ingredients to large manufacturers because petrol ingredients (yes, such as vaseline) are illegal in many countries as they've been found to be a carcinogen. Because most large companies sell to other countries they had to buy more expensive, but more healthy ingredients. Vaseline type petroleum is dirt cheap to sell so it's still used and fought for widely in the US...to make a buck. Petrol cosmetic products are expected to be removed in the US in the upcoming years as they are currently being re-tested by the FDA. Unfortunately, this is a fight and takes many years. Yes, you read this right...Vaseline, which we slather on our babies, cannot be sold in most other countries due to the petrol based products found to be carcinogenic. Because of this, even though I don't use lip balm, I tell my friends who do not to use chapstick.

As for shampoos, what I learned from the cosmetic scientists and companies changed how I buy them forever. Did you know we are the ONLY country who buys shampoos with Sodium Laryl Sulfate or Sodium Laureth Sulfate in them in such mass quantities? These are the exact same stripping agents used in FLOOR CLEANER. But it's for marketing. Americans equate foaming with clean so those that foam less, even if they work better, don't sell as well...so the majority of companies add them in because they are big foamers. But they are HORRID for your hair. However, in the past two years I have seen more knowledge in the US on this and finally I'm beginning to see "sulfate free!" on some bottles and on commercials. People are finding out.

Sulfates completely strip your hair and cause breakage. Once I started going to Whole Foods or Central Market and buying my shampoos without it, I never stopped...even though it's been years since I learned this. Every time I get my haircut somewhere the stylist says "you are lucky at your age you don't have to dye your hair" or something to that effect. I always say "but I do dye my hair. I actually have tons of grey underneath this dark brown." and they say "but your hair is in incredible shape and is really shiny. Do you not blow dry it or use a curling iron?" and I tell em I do that too.

The difference is I don't strip out all the moisture with my shampoo!

Also, if I travel and use a shampoo with sulfates I will see my dye run out of my hair that the sulfate-free shampoos kept in. Because of the stripping properties, your hair dye, if you use it, will last a far shorter amount of time with shampoos containing sodium lauryl sulfate or sodium laureth sulfate. Sulfate free shampoos will help not only retain moisture, but color as well because there is no stripping.

But I need good cleaning shampoo mind you...I work out hard 6 days a week.

This, fortunately is good for your hair, offers good cleansing, and is non stripping. The other ingredients only make it better...very natural and GOOD. My hair gleams. I've found a handful of shampoos that measure up to my knowledge and this does.

Negative? Still hard for me to track this stuff down at many grocery stores.

I have very fine somewhat thin hair, and I really had high hopes for this product, especially after having read good reviews on this site and elsewhere. I love all Burt's Bees products, but unfortunately this shampoo didn't do much in the way of volumizing. The smell is great, and the non-chemical formula felt great on my sensitive scalp, but after the first use it just made my hair greasy. (This could be because it is somewhat difficult to tell if you've gotten all of the shampoo out before you dry your hair...since it's all natural, it's got a different type of lather than other shampoos.)

I'll probably use the rest of the bottle since it smells great, but there's no way I can use it every day (or even every other day) since my fine hair just gets greasy. I won't buy it again. (The conditioner, however, was pretty nice. I can't condition every day, but it's perfect to use on the days I do condition. Not too heavy, nice texture, smells great.)

EDIT: When I wrote this review, I gave the product three stars...I decided to try to finish the bottle to free up room in the shower, and needless to say, I was quite surprised when my hair seemed to grow accustomed to the product and started to feel stronger and look nicer. I'd like to change my review to five stars, with the caveat that you should give your hair some time to adjust (as in more than 3 or 4 washes...at least, if you have hair like me). I now love the shampoo!

Buy Shampoo Now

I love this product, it does not contain any harmful chemical that burn my scalp. (Like other shampoo's do).

When I first open the shampoo the fragance just takes you far away. This product made my hair feel like it came back to life again. My scalp did not itch anymore, less knots, more volume (I have very thin hair) The more you use the shampoo and conditioner the smoother your hair becomes. I am going to buy more bottles.

Read Best Reviews of Shampoo Here

I will admit I was a bit hesitant when I bought this shampoo. Sure I along with countless others have fallen for the other Burt's Bees products, but shampoo? I was looking for paraben free products, not to mention Ammonium lauryl sulfate. Anyway I stumbled across this shampoo and while I am not nuts about the smell, it doesn't last long enough to worry about. I'm not saying it's a bad scent, it just doesn't suit me. This is the only downside of this shampoo in my opinion. It has a wonderful lather! I was shocked by the amount of lather actually. My hair is shiny and it FEELS healthy as opposed to just LOOKING healthy. And for the first time in my life I can comb through my hair quickly after a shower. I feel it is important to mention that my hair is almost to my knees and wavy. Being able to comb is like a dream. It takes me a couple of minutes with no snags versus spending a half an hour of tugging and pain. I agree with the previous poster about a little goes a long way. You need less than you think.

To sum it up...try it if you don't want to use shampoo with parabens, and want gorgeous hair!

Want Shampoo Discount?

this is one of the best products i've ever used for adding volume to my hair. i have thin, baby fine hair...(well, not so much anymore)these products give my hair thickness, depth & a nice shine. i LOVE this stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment